LONDON – Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and second in line to the British throne, tested positive for coronavirus in April. British media reported Sunday.
Kensington Palace, contacted by NBC News on Sunday evening, did not confirm or deny the reports. The British tabloid newspaper The Sun first reported the diagnosis, citing an unnamed source in Kensington Palace.
Unlike William’s father, Prince Charles, Who announced a positive COVID-19 test result in MarchWilliam, 38, kept his diagnosis a secret. It was not immediately clear how severe his condition was.
The diagnosis came in the same month as British Prime Minister Boris Johnson He said he was taken to the hospital In the intensive care unit after testing for the virus.
Johnson It was later revealed that his injury was very serious He needed “liters of oxygen” to survive. He said that the doctors were preparing to announce his death.
On Saturday, Johnson It announced a new one-month lockdown As the number of cases in the country exceeded one million.
“Unless we act, we could see the death toll in this country reach several thousand a day,” Johnson said.
The country imposed a three-month lockdown earlier this year, but the number of cases began to rise as restrictions eased.
Under the new rules, nonessential businesses must shut down and bars and restaurants can only serve fast food. Schools, universities and construction sites will be allowed to remain open.
Will Clark reports in London and Tim Stilohe in California.
“Alcohol scholar. Twitter lover. Zombieaholic. Hipster-friendly coffee fanatic.”